New NMJL Mah Jongg System - DRAFT
Problems with current system and
Ideas to help solve them
The current system has it's problems. This is a draft document to outline what could be a new system.
Although the current system does have a lot of nice features, there are problems that need to be addressed.
Here are some ideas to help with these problems. NOTE: Old system will still be there if you choose to use
it and will not be changed.
- Installation is too complicated. (download, install, firewall)
- Make the NMJL Maj Online Firefox based. Once Firefox is installed, automate the rest to be as simple as possible
- Firefox is FREE and only needs to be installed!
- Since this is based on standard web design, there should be little need to configure your firewall.
- Not resolution independent. (requires 800x600 screen or window)
- By making it based on Firefox, it will be in a popup window and so not dependent on screen resolution.
- Best to use a minimum of 1024x768 to have enough room, will also handle 1280x1024 as this is common
- With the zoom feature of Firefox one can play using 800x600 screen resolution
- With the zoom feature of Firefox one can play using very large screen resolution
- Not platform independent (Windows only)
- Firefox will work on Windows, Mac and Linux. So will the new Mah Jongg
- Does not handle the Internet well enough. (Network problems, exiting)
- New system will act much more like a web site
- If a player does not provide a response in a reasonable amount of time,
the system will timeout (see paced game) and not hold up the other players.
- If a player exits or leaves and comes back it will be at about the same place.
- Does not do auto validation of Maj (was not allowed access to card)
- Will auto validate hand and score; solves agreeing or not to Maj
- Better presentation of Maj so that player knows for sure they got maj and is valid
- Does not handle dead hands as well as it should
- Player can be declared dead by clicking on the players name.
- The system then validates if hand is dead or not.
- Either hand goes dead or penalty to player that declared it dead.
- No more asking a player to declare a hand dead
- Too much complaining about Timed games (should be paced games instead)
- The Official rules don't have a time limit on games for a reason.
- Players DON'T want to wait for others to make decisions.
- The system will timeout and make dead, if a player takes too long
- Rank, although correct, is too complicated (needs to be replaced)
- How about the idea of top 10?
- Score will be sum of last 100 games
- Rooms are not used as they should be.
- Although there are 3 rooms almost all players play in one room.
- The current system can have many more rooms, but if only 1 is used, there is no point.
- design new system to use only 1 room and have East select type of game to start.
- New features that are needed if possible.
- Better auto sort of tiles in order that player would like.
- Play back of a given game. To review or check a game. Replay.
- Custom message on login for the day. Allows a message to a given player.
For now use the Support page and email comments about this document.
THANKS Sigma Software, Inc.
Copyright © 2012 - Sigma Software, Inc..